Online games that matter

The Institute for the Future (IFTF) teamed with the Myelin Repair Foundation, funded by the Robert Wood Johnson Foundation to host a game with this title:

How would you advise the President to reinvent the process of medical discovery?

The game was played here, ending today. Following the game, as part of my thesis project, I wrote a quick summary report, found here.  At the same time, I created a new hashtag at Twitter: #ogtm for online games that matter.

My overall impression from playing the game is that online games that matter, with the Foresight Engine being a shiny new example, will play an increasingly important role in social sensemaking and learning.

5 thoughts on “Online games that matter

1. Social Networking Tools can already be harnessed to share contact information, access resources and facilitate collaboration between researchers with shared interests. We need to take this to the next step and see the development of a globally recognised portal application that facilitates exactly the sort of collaborative brainstorming sessions we engaged with through the foresight engine. As a proof of concept, Breakthroughs to Cures demonstrated how valuable such a tool could be if it became widely recognised and used.

2. “As a proof of concept, Breakthroughs to Cures demonstrated how valuable such a tool could be if it became widely recognised and used.” <Absolutely agree with this, and what else was said. Nice job creating the hashtag, too, Jack!

3. Hi Jack. I did not realize you were inhabiting this blog. We have exchanged email over the years regarding collective intelligence (free CI book: http://tinyurl.com/3lc8y4 [6.6mb pdf file]) and more recently at the global energy list-serv and I am also on the MillProj list-serv.

Glad to have run into your blog. Somewhat gaming + problem solving related is this post I recently made after crossing paths with the website for the “FuturICT Living Earth Simulator” – http://tinyurl.com/4zjyo4q