Prof HARITH ALANI
Knowledge Media institute
The Open University
Walton Hall, Milton Keynes, MK7 6AA
h alani at open ac uk
I am the Deputy Director of the Knowledge Media institute, and founder and leader of the interdisciplinary Social Data Science group which researches and applies computational social science methods and social media analytics to model, understand and track various social phenomena on the web. The group brings together expertise in data science, Artificial Intelligence, Semantic Web Technologies, Human Computer Interaction, and Social Computing. I have published over 160 scientific papers in various leading journals and conferences, and have taken various roles in the organisation of top tier scientific conferences, such as the International Semantic Web Conference and The Web Conference. Previously to joining KMi, I was a senior research fellow at the School of Electronics and Computer Science, University of Southampton.
CIMPLE (2021-2024) CIMPLE stands for Countering Creative Information Manipulation with Explainable AI. The project is funded by CHIST-ERA, and aims to research and develop innovative knowledge-driven solutions for the detection and tracking of online information manipulation, while taking into account various AI-explainability needs and requirements.
HERoS (2020-2023) HERoS is an international project that aims to produce epidemiological models for COVID-19 that integrates behavioural dynamics, misinformation spread, supply chain disruption, and governance. The KMi team will be studying the spread of misinformation about COVID-19 in social media and will measure the success or failure of misinformation countering initiatives by multiple sources.
Co-Inform (2018-2021) An international research project funded by the European Commission to study and co-create tools for tackling online misinformation.
NoBias (2020-2022) NoBias is a Marie Sklodowska-Curie Innovative Training Networks that aims tounderstand legal, social and technical challenges of bias in AI-decision making, to counter them by developing fairness-aware algorithms, to automatically explain AI results, and to document the overall process for data provenance and transparency.
TRIVALENT (2017-2020) EU H2020 project to develop advanced method for detecting and measuring violent radicalisation behaviour on social media. Project involves collaboration with a dozen European Law Enforcement Agencies.
COMRADES (2016-2019) a European H2020 project to research and develop a collaborative platform for supporting communities during crises, which incorporates automated methods for processing and linking of crowdsourced information and for safeguarding communities during critical scenarios from inaccurate, distrusted and fragmented information posted about the crises on social media
DecarboNet (2013-2016) EU FP7 project to develop platforms for raising collective awareness and influencing behavioural change using a suit of socio-technical strategies and techniques.
Sense4Us (2013-2016) EU FP7 project that aims to develop tools and techniques to enable policy makers to gather, integrate, and analyse policy-related discussions and networks on social media.
ReelLives (2013-2016) EPSRC project that aims to develop filmic representations of social media content for individuals and groups using a mixture of semantic, content, and network analysis and narrative generation techniques.
ROBUST (2010-2013) The objective of ROBUST was to analyze, manage and care for online communities, in order to support their well being, to measure their created values and to exploit the knowledge and information contained within.
WeGov (2010-2012) EU project WeGov developed a toolset so full advantage can be taken of well-established social networking sites when engaging citizens as part of governance and policy-making processes.
TAGora (2006-2009) This EU funded project helps to define Semiotic Dynamics, a new field that studies how semiotic relations can originate, spread and evolve over time in populations. It investigates web-scale collaborative tagging behaviour to further our understanding of the dynamics of information in online communities.
OntoMediate (2006-2009) Aims to explore the extent to which collaborative environments can be used to support the identification of mappings between ontologies.
BioOntoSearch: A three month project funded by the Leverhulme Trust to investigate searching and ranking of biomedical ontologies at the Stanford Medical Institute
All my publications are available here in ePrints.
- "Co-Creating Misinformation Resilient Societies", presentation about the Co-Inform project, delivered at the Paris Peace Forum, Paris, France, 2019. (slides)
- "Improving the digital landscape for our children", reflections on the Online Harms White Paper published in April 2019. Presented at a workshop
organised by the Security Awareness Special Interest Group SASIG, London, UK, 2019. (slides)
- "Co-Creating Misinformation Resilient Societies", invited talk at the event: "Why does fact checking matter? @ImagineBelfast" which was organised by FactCheck Northern Ireland. (slides)
- ”Crises information analysis", keynote at the International Conference on Social Informatics (SocInfo18), Saint Petersburg, Russia, 2018. (slides)
- "Detecting online grooming and radicalisation", invited talk at the Society of Evidence Based Policing (SEBP) conference, Milton Keynes, UK, 2018. (slides)
- ”Making more sense out of social data”, invited talk at the 4th Workshop on Linked Science 2014 — Making Sense Out of Data (LISC2014) , at 13th International Semantic Web Conference (ISWC), Trentino, Italy, 2014. (slides)
- "Social Media Analytics with a pinch of semantics" . Invited lecture at the The 10th Summer School on Ontology Engineering and the Semantic Web (SSSW'13), DERI, NUIG, Cercedilla, Spain, July 2013. (slides)
- "Monitoring and Analysis of Online Communities". Invited lecture at the Web Science Doctoral Summer School, DERI, NUIG, Galway, Ireland, July 2011. (slides) (video)
- "Live Social Semantics", invited lecture at 8th Summer School on Ontology Engineering and the Semantic Web (SSSW 2011), Cercedilla, Spain, July 2011. (slides)
- "I know what you did last conference: Tracking and analysis of social networks", invited talked at Social Data on the Web (SDoW) workshop, at 9th International Semantic Web Conference (ISWC), Shanghai, China, November 2010. (slides)
- "Interlinking Semantics, the Social Web, and the Real-world", keynote at Workshop on Adaptation, Personalization and REcommendation in the Social-semantic Web (APRESW), at the Extended Semantic Web conference (ESWC), Crete, Greece, June 2010. (slides)
- General Chair, International Semantic Web Conference (ISWC), Online, October 24-28, 2021
- Track Co-Chair, Web Content Analysis, Semantics, and Knowledge, 27th edition of The Web Conference (WWW 2018), Lyon, France, April 23-27, 2018
- Track Co-Chair, Social Web and Web Science, 14th Extended Semantic Web Conference (ESWC 2017), Portoroz, Slovenia, May 28-June 1st, 2017
- Track Co-Chair, Personalization in the Social Web & Crowdsourcing Era Track, 24th Conference on User Modeling, Adaptation and Personalization (UMAP 2016), Halifax, Canada, July 13-17, 2016
- Programme Co-Chair, Web Science Track, International World Wide Web Conference (WWW 2014), Seoul, South Korea, April 7-11, 2014
- Programme Co-Chair, ACM Web Science Conference (WebSci), Paris, France, May 2-4, 2013
- Programme Co-Chair, International Semantic Web Conference (ISWC), Sydney, Australia, October 21-25, 2013
- Co-Chair, AAAI 2012 Spring Symposium on Intelligent Web Services Meet Social Computing, Stanford, USA, March 2012
- Co-Chair, 22nd ACM Conference on Hypertext and Hypermedia (HyperText) Semantic Data track, WI, USA, June 2012
- Co-Chair, International Semantic Web Conference (ISWC) In-Use Paper Track, Koblenz, Germany, 2011
- Chair, 4th Future Internet Symposium (FIS) Semantic Technologies track, Vienna, Austria, November 2011
- Co-Chair, ESWC Sensor Web Track, Heraklion, Crete, 2011
- Semantic Web Technologies co-chair, Extended Semantic Web Conference (ESWC), Heraklion, Crete, 2010
- Poster/Demo co-chair, International Semantic Web Conference (ISWC), Washington DC, 2009
- Semantic Web Technologies co-chair, European Semantic Web Conference (ESWC), Heraklion, Crete, 2009
- Workshop co-chair, Workshop on Collaborative Construction, Management and Linking of Structured Knowledge (CK 2009), ISWC 2009, Washington DC, 2009
- Senior Programme Committee member (SPC) of the 28th International Joint Conference on Artificial Intelligence (IJCAI), 2019.
- International Semantic Web Conference (ISWC), 2019.
- International Conference on Semantic Systems (SEMANTICS), 2019.
- Web and Society track of The Web Conference 2019 (WWW), 2019.
- International ACM Web Science Conference (WebSci), 2019.
- Senior Programme Committee of the International Semantic Web Conference (ISWC), 2018.
- "Journalism, Misinformation and Fact Checking" alternate track at the 27th World Wide Web Conference (WWW), 2018.
- International Workshop on Social Web in Emergency and Disaster Management (SWDM 2018, ACM International Conference on Web Search and Data Mining (WSDM 2018).