Dr HARITH ALANI
Knowledge Media institute
The Open University
Walton Hall, Milton Keynes, MK7 6AA
h alani at open ac uk
Currently I am a senior lecturer at the Knowledge Media institute, The Open University, where I am leading a group specialising in Social Semantics and Web Science. Previously to joining KMi, I was a senior research fellow at the School of Electronics and Computer Science, University of Southampton. I have published around 120 scientific papers in various leading journals and conferences, and have been involved as a Principal Investigator in several national and international research projects. Recently I served as the programme co-chair of World Wide Web Conference (WWW) 2014 Web Science Track, International Semantic Web Conference (ISWC) 2013, and ACM Web Science Conference (WebSci) 2013.
COMRADES (2013-2016) a European H2020 project to research and develop a collaborative platform for supporting communities during crises, which incorporates automated methods for processing and linking of crowdsourced information and for safeguarding communities during critical scenarios from inaccurate, distrusted and fragmented information posted about the crises on social media
DecarboNet (2013-2016) EU FP7 project to develop platforms for raising collective awareness and influencing behavioural change using a suit of socio-technical strategies and techniques.
Sense4Us (2013-2016) EU FP7 project that aims to develop tools and techniques to enable policy makers to gather, integrate, and analyse policy-related discussions and networks on social media.
ReelLives (2013-2016) EPSRC project that aims to develop filmic representations of social media content for individuals and groups using a mixture of semantic, content, and network analysis and narrative generation techniques.
ROBUST (2010-2013) The objective of ROBUST was to analyze, manage and care for online communities, in order to support their well being, to measure their created values and to exploit the knowledge and information contained within.
WeGov (2010-2012) EU project WeGov developed a toolset so full advantage can be taken of well-established social networking sites when engaging citizens as part of governance and policy-making processes.
TAGora (2006-2009) This EU funded project helps to define Semiotic Dynamics, a new field that studies how semiotic relations can originate, spread and evolve over time in populations. It investigates web-scale collaborative tagging behaviour to further our understanding of the dynamics of information in online communities.
OntoMediate (2006-2009) Aims to explore the extent to which collaborative environments can be used to support the identification of mappings between ontologies.
BioOntoSearch: A three month project funded by the Leverhulme Trust to investigate searching and ranking of biomedical ontologies at the Stanford Medical Institute
All my publications are available here in ePrints.
Invited Talks”Making more sense out of social data” 4th Workshop on Linked Science 2014 — Making Sense Out of Data (LISC2014), , at 13th International Semantic Web Conference (ISWC), Trentino, Italy, 2014. (slides)
"Social Media Analytics with a pinch of semantics" SSSW'13; The 10th Summer School on Ontology Engineering and the Semantic Web , DERI, NUIG, Cercedilla, Spain, July 2013. (slides)
"Monitoring and Analysis of Online Communities" at the Web Science Doctoral Summer School , DERI, NUIG, Galway, Ireland, July 2011. (slides) (video)
"Live Social Semantics" at 8th Summer School on Ontology Engineering and the Semantic Web (SSSW 2011), Cercedilla, Spain, July 2011. (slides)
"I know what you did last conference: Tracking and analysis of social networks " at Social Data on the Web (SDoW), at 9th International Semantic Web Conference (ISWC), Shanghai, China, November 2010. (slides)
"Interlinking Semantics, the Social Web, and the Real-world" at Workshop on Adaptation, Personalization and REcommendation in the Social-semantic Web (APRESW), at the Extended Semantic Web conference (ESWC), Crete, Greece, June 2010. (slides)
- Programme Co-Chair, Web Science Track, International World Wide Web Conference (WWW 2014), Seoul, South Korea, April 7-11, 2014
- Programme Co-Chair, ACM Web Science Conference (WebSci), Paris, France, May 2-4, 2013
- Programme Co-Chair, International Semantic Web Conference (ISWC), Sydney, Australia, October 21-25, 2013
- Co-Chair, AAAI 2012 Spring Symposium on Intelligent Web Services Meet Social Computing, Stanford, USA, March 2012
- Co-Chair, 22nd ACM Conference on Hypertext and Hypermedia (HyperText) Semantic Data track, WI, USA, June 2012
- Co-Chair, International Semantic Web Conference (ISWC) In-Use Paper Track, Koblenz, Germany, 2011
- Chair, 4th Future Internet Symposium (FIS) Semantic Technologies track, Vienna, Austria, November 2011
- Co-Chair, ESWC Sensor Web Track, Heraklion, Crete, 2011
- Semantic Web Technologies co-chair, Extended Semantic Web Conference (ESWC), Heraklion, Crete, 2010
- Poster/Demo co-chair, International Semantic Web Conference (ISWC), Washington DC, 2009
- Semantic Web Technologies co-chair, European Semantic Web Conference (ESWC), Heraklion, Crete, 2009
- Workshop co-chair, Workshop on Collaborative Construction, Management and Linking of Structured Knowledge (CK 2009), ISWC 2009, Washington DC, 2009
- The 25th World Wide Web Conference (WWW), Montreal, Canada, 2016