In loving memory of Mehmet Serhat Azgur

I realised that I forgot to press publish after I wrote this blog post (below) in 2013. Today it is dear Dr. Azgur’s 2nd death anniversary… His twitter is still on, his LinkedIn endorsement is still on my page, his smile is still so vivid to imagine… As if he is still somewhere smiling and offering warm cup of tea to his students.

On 21st of October evening, I learnt that our dear lecturer Serhat Azgur passed away. As I’m not using Facebook for a very long time, my classmates from Bilkent University immediately sent me a text message announcing the bad news… It was such a shocking news as Serhat Azgur was not old (possibly in his mid 50s) and we had no idea about his illness… Therefore the first 15 minutes was asking how and why questions? Why he left so early? What happened? We then learnt that he was fighting with a cancer for 8-9 months and had heavy chemo treatments, as doctors did not know what type of cancer it was in the beginning (from what I understood he diagnosed possibly in the late stages where it spread)…

I was trying to submit a paper for a conference just minutes before I learnt the news, and now I remember myself getting angry to the Word Processor as I could not format the images properly. Then the text message came, I felt a deep sadness and again recalled how short life is. I was getting upset because of the damn Word and Azgur family was deeply sorrowed at the same time for losing their husband, father, son, brother, uncle… I felt terrible. We lost our lecturer… We lost one of the biggest and warmest smile on earth possibly… Such a cold news for such a warm and gentle person…

When I was studying at The Bilkent University, I had an “operating systems” lecture from Dr. Serhat Azgur for one semester. It was the first time I’ve seen him. If you would have a chance to meet with him you would immediately think how warm and fatherly he is… Or he was… He had a peaceful personality. It was impossible to get angry or feel upset when you talk with him… He had a huge positive energy on everyone as he always put his smile on his face. The last time I spoke with him was around 1 year ago on the phone. He called me as his daughter was coming to England for Masters studies. We talked about house hunting, life, bank accounts etc. His voice was cheerful as usual. And that was it… When I visited Bilkent Uni last year I dropped by his office but he was not there. And he won’t be there anymore…

Rest in peace Serhat Hocam…

You will be truly missed…