Don’t tell me what I can’t do!

If you have ever watched the well-known TV series LOST, you’d remember the fictional character John Locke for sure. He is the guy who believes in mystical and spiritual explanations for why things happen on the island due to a self-described “miracle” happening to him after the crash of an airplane. Prior to crash, in his words prior to “miracle”, John had been pushed out of a window eight stories high. He survived the fall but suffered a broken back, an injury that left him in a wheelchair. Once out of the hospital he started working at a box company where he was constantly insulted by his boss which made him to quit and apply for walkabout in Australia. His admission was denied due to his disability and he had been told that he can’t do it!

He then took the plane, Oceanic 815, to go back home; but the plane crashed. After the plane crash on the Island, he miraculously regained the use of the lower portion of his body below his waist, so he no longer needed that wheelchair which made the people around him often say: “You can’t do“.

This phrase is so popular in the movie as John answers back to people several times: “Don’t tell me what I can’t do!” Watch the 44 seconds collation of these moments below 🙂 And repeat after him!

Don’t let others to tell you what “you can’t do it”; don’t ever let the wheelchair stops you to do things. Most importantly do not lose the belief  in yourself… You can do it, it might be slowly, it might be wrong, it might be late but you can do it, if you want to. Although you sometimes feel that while doing your PhD you have been pushed out of window that is eight stories high and you are no longer able to walk, think John! If you still survive there is hope and therefore you can do anything so repeat after John: “Don’t ever tell me what I can’t do“! One day after the PhD crash you will be walking with this Dr. title and you will remember how you showed that you can do whatever you want to.